On January 26, 2015 City Council adopted a resolution approving formation of a Complete Streets Advisory Committee. Complete Streets are roadways designed and operated to enable safe, attractive, comfortable, and independent access and travel for all users, including people of all ages and abilities walking, riding bikes, driving, and riding transit. The Committee was extended by two years and added two new members by the passage of Resolution 15563 on February 27, 2017.
Mission of the Complete Streets Advisory Committee
Increase safe, attractive, comfortable and independent access and travel for the Redwood City community, utilizing Complete Streets principles and practices.
- Help to create multi-modal transportation options that enable safe, attractive, comfortable, and independent access and travel for pedestrians, bicyclists, transit users, and motorists of all ages and abilities.
- Provide staff with recommendations for pragmatic and specific user solutions.
- Serve as a conduit for community input and to consider these requests and provide recommendations to staff.
- Provide general input and assistance to staff regarding Complete Streets projects, programs, and surveys, generating ideas and recommending solutions as appropriate; and prioritize all recommendations from the perspective of the community, considering all ages and abilities.
- Serve as a resource to improve safety for people walking and riding bicycles throughout Redwood City, and provide the perspective of active transportation users for staff.
- Assist staff in identifying and prioritizing grant projects, and research data and background information for grant applications.
- Assist with public education.
- Assist with public outreach in support of community workshops and communication, utilizing the committee members’ networking connections and contacts.
- Review bicycle, pedestrian, transit, and Complete Streets plans of other jurisdictions, identify and recommend concepts and components most suited to Redwood City, distill the information for staff, and serve as a staff resource for developing a Citywide Transportation Plan.
- Identify opportunities for increasing bicycle, pedestrian, and transit use and mobility, and provide prioritized recommendations for consideration by staff, Planning Commission, and City Council.
- Review projects and plans for Complete Streets criteria as appropriate. In some cases City staff will bring projects to the Committee for its consideration. In other cases, the Committee may ask to provide guidance regarding specific projects or members may sit on a project’s citizen advisory committee.
- Serve as a liaison between City staff and relevant pedestrian, bicycle, transit, and Complete Streets organizations to keep staff advised of current issues and opportunities.
- Identify and prioritize possible citywide goals, such as reducing Vehicle Miles Traveled, including methods for measuring and tracking performance to goal.
Click here to view the Resolution containing the Committee’s full list of duties.
Regular meetings of the Committee will generally be held once per quarter, but may be scheduled less frequently. Additional “special sessions” may be held as required. Quorum must be met.
The Complete Streets Advisory Committee consists of seven members appointed by the City Council. All members must be residents of Redwood City. Alternatively, one member may be a resident of unincorporated Redwood City or a non-resident who is employed in Redwood City.
Terms Of Members
The term of office of each member of the Committee appointed in 2015 shall be four (4) years, expiring on May 31, 2019. Terms of the members appointed in 2017 shall be two (2) years, expiring on May 31, 2019. Members will continue to serve until their successors are appointed. In the event of a vacancy, a successor will be appointed by City Council for the remainder of the term.