Code Enforcement is the prevention, detection, investigation and enforcement of violations of statutes or ordinances regulating public health, safety, and welfare, public works, business activities and consumer protection, building standards, land-use, or municipal affairs.
The City respects the desire of all residents and business owners to enjoy their property. The City also believes that responsible use of private property includes respect for community values, as contained in the City municipal Code and Zoning Ordinance, please visit our Code and Ordinances link for more information Codes and Ordinances.
In order to assure that these values are upheld, the City Municipal Code, Zoning Ordinance and Property Maintenance Code will be enforced according to the following principles:
- The City will enforce its ordinances based on the violation, not the violator. The focus of our code enforcement is on the nuisance activity or structure, without regard to the source of the complaint or the nature or character of the violator.
- The City seeks compliance first and foremost. Enforcement efforts are directed at providing opportunities for solving problems and eliminating violations, not punishing people.
- The City will maintain the confidentiality of the source of any complaint along with accepting anonymous reports of violations. The City will enforce confirmed violations based on the idea that they are violations against the City, not against a neighbor or other individual parties.
- Health & safety violations are given the highest priority so that human life and property are protected without delay. Violations of ‘general welfare’ rules such as zoning will be addressed at a second level of attention, allowing reasonable solutions to be implemented in reasonable time. Brochures
Click here to Report a Violation
Code enforcement officers use the following measures to correct violations. We can issue:
- Courtesy notices
- Violation notices
- Compliance orders
- Courtesy warning letters
- Administrative Citations
- Criminal Citations:
- Misdemeanor citation
- Infraction citation
- Liens against a cited property
- Abatements (City hires a contractor to correct violation)
- Cease & Desist Orders
- Legal Action by City Attorney:
- Court injunction
- Search warrant