What is the Broadway Streetcar Study?
This is a feasibility study of the potential Broadway Streetcar line and upgrades to the Downtown Transit Center.
Why is it Needed?
The General Plan discusses several streetcar corridors in Redwood City to improve mobility options and connect outlying areas to the Downtown. One of these corridors extends along Broadway from the Downtown Transit Center to the Stanford in Redwood City Precise Plan area. The Stanford Precise Plan includes street improvement options for a streetcar line and the Development Agreement included $75,000 towards a feasibility study for this line. The City of Redwood City also successfully applied for a $450,000 grant to complete the feasibility study.
- Conduct design studies for the Transit Center, including pedestrian, shuttle, taxi, and bicycle connections as well as train platform improvements and inefficiencies in the surrounding parking lots.
- Conduct design and feasibility studies for the streetcar line, including economic analysis of a streetcar or urban circulator along Broadway connecting the Downtown to Stanford in Redwood City.
- Provide public outreach opportunities for the public to become and informed and provide feedback on priorities and issues.
The City and consultant team is currently working on an existing conditions report. When that report is available, additional public outreach and technical studies will be completed.
- November 16, 2017 5-8 p.m. in conjunction with outreach for RWC Moves at the PAL Building, 3399 Bay Road
- November 29, 2017 5-8 p.m. in conjunction with outreach for RWC Moves at Redwood Shores Library, 399 Marine Pkway
- December 9, 2017 10-1 p.m. in conjunction with outreach for RWC Moves at Kennedy Middle School, 2521 Goodwin Avenue
Join us at any of the above workshops - we'll have information about potential streetcar alignments with frequently asked questions and mock-ups of new transit center ideas.
- January 25,2016 City Council Meeting (authorizing work with the consultant team)
As a feasibility study, no environmental review is required.
- Matrix Ranking of Potential Streetcar Alignments
- Existing Conditions for the Broadway Streetcar
- January 25, 2016 City Council staff report with overview of study and consultant contract
- General Plan excerpt of discussion of possible streetcar
|Project Planner||Project Consultant|
|Diana O'Dell||William E. Hurrell|
|Principal Planner, City of Redwood City||Project Manager, CDM Smith|