Update: City Council Adopts Accessory Dwelling Unit Ordinance
On December 7, 2015, the City Council adopted the Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Ordinance. The new rules are effective on January 7, 2016. Please be sure to check back for updates.
New ADU Requirements & Resources
- Summary of ADU Requirements
- Full Ordinance Changes (scroll down to Article 37 on page 9)
- To determine the zoning for your property, use the City's GIS map: www.redwoodcity.org/gis
City staff is now accepting pre-application consultations to help homeowners navigate the new design requirements.
- Counter Hours: 8AM-5PM, Monday-Friday (walk-ins welcome)
- Planning Services: (650) 780-7234 (ask to speak with the Planner-on-Duty)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
*NOTE: Building Permit applications for ADUs will not be accepted until the new ADU requirements become effective on January 7, 2016, unless the proposed ADU complies with the current ADU requirements.
An Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a smaller living unit on a property that has a single-family residence. It is complete with its own kitchen and bathroom facilities. Common names for an ADU include in-law unit, secondary unit, and backyard cottage.
- Extra living space for family or guests
- Housing for aging parents, caregivers or adult children
- Efficient use of existing infrastructure
- Rental income
December 7, 2015
- City Council Adoption of Changes to the ADU Ordinance
- [public notice, staff report & final ordinance]
October 26, 2015
- City Council Consideration of Draft Changes to the ADU Ordinance
- [public notice, staff report & draft ordinance, presentation slides]
October 6, 2015
- Planning Commission Consideration of Draft Changes to the ADU Ordinance
- [public notice, staff report & draft ordinance]
September 2, 2014
July 9, 2014
July 1, 2014