State Passes New Law on ADUs
The State passed new laws, effective January 1, 2017, to further reduce barriers, streamline approval, and expand capacity to accommodate the development of ADUs. These changes include further restrictions on the amount of parking that may be required, allowance for conversion of existing accessory structures into ADUs, and limitations on fire sprinkler and water meter requirements, among other changes. See the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) Memo summarizing the law.
2017 City Council Hearing on New Amendments
The City Council will be making a final decision on the proposed Ordinance. This ordinance complies with the State mandates and ensures consistency of provisions throughout the Zoning Code and City Code. A complete list of amendments is available here. To learn more about the proposed changes and how to provide your input, watch this video. Planning Commission recommended approval of these changes at their February 21, 2017 public hearing and materials from that meeting are available below.
The final version of the ordinance will go to City Council for their review on:
Council Chambers, City Hall
1017 Middlefield Road, Redwood City
An Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a smaller living unit on a property that has a single-family residence. It is complete with its own kitchen and bathroom facilities. Common names for an ADU include in-law unit, secondary unit, and backyard cottage.
- Extra living space for family or guests
- Housing for aging parents, caregivers or adult children
- Efficient use of existing infrastructure
- Rental income
Previous 2015 Changes to ADU Regulations
On December 7, 2015, the City Council adopted Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Ordinance. Those rules became effective on January 7, 2016.
New ADU Requirements & Resources
- Summary of ADU Requirements
- Full Ordinance Changes (scroll down to Article 37 on page 9)
- To determine the zoning for your property, use the City's GIS map: www.redwoodcity.org/gis
City staff is now accepting pre-application consultations to help homeowners navigate the new design requirements.
- Counter Hours: 8AM-5PM (M/W/F), and 12:30PM-5PM (T/Th) (walk-ins welcome)
- Planning Services: (650) 780-7234 (ask to speak with the Planner-on-Duty)
- Email: email@example.com
February 21, 2017
December 7, 2015
- City Council Adoption of Changes to the ADU Ordinance
- [public notice, staff report & final ordinance]
October 26, 2015
- City Council Consideration of Draft Changes to the ADU Ordinance
- [public notice, staff report & draft ordinance, presentation slides]
October 6, 2015
- Planning Commission Consideration of Draft Changes to the ADU Ordinance
- [public notice, staff report & draft ordinance]
September 2, 2014
July 9, 2014
July 1, 2014