This year’s Library Summer Learning Challenge is More Exciting Than Ever
It’s time once again for everyone’s favorite annual tradition of summer learning at the Library! This year’s theme is “Reading Takes You Everywhere,” and there will be an exciting array of programs and activities for the whole family.
The National Summer Learning Association has documented that children, especially from low income families, can experience losses in academic growth over the summer. However, with participation in fun and engaging summer learning activities like those offered by the Library and Redwood City School District, kids can even experience academic growth during summer break instead of losing ground.
The 2018 Summer Learning Challenge begins on June 1, and kids of all ages can sign up at any Redwood City Public Library location (Downtown, Fair Oaks, Redwood Shores, or Schaberg) or through the Library website. All four libraries have weekly events all summer long, including magic & ventriloquism (Magic Dan, Randel McGee and Groark, Dan & James Chan), music and dance (Soul Soup), comedy and circus (Coventry & Kaluza), animals (Norcal Bats, Conservation Ambassadors), theatre (Circulo Cultural), and puppets (Magical Moonshine).
But that’s not all! Other special events will include STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) activities like Library Coding Club, Math workshops, cooking classes, Preschool STEM Discovery, visits from the Bay Area Discovery Museum, creative writing workshops at the Fair Oaks Library, and much more.
Speaking of the Fair Oaks Library, we will have a full day of activities and celebration for the ribbon cutting and grand reopening following five months of construction to renovate and expand the branch to add a teen area, support additional technology, and create more children’s activity space. We hope you can join us for the ribbon cutting at 9:30 am on Saturday, June 23. If not, come by any time during the day to check out our new digs.
All of our fabulous summer programs are made possible by the generous support of the Friends of Redwood City Public Library, who have sponsored Summer Reading/Summer Learning activities for many, many years.
Last summer, over 22,000 people from Redwood City and North Fair Oaks participated in the Summer Learning Challenge at Redwood City Public Library, which almost doubled our participation from 2016. However, we’re not content with that number – our goal is to get every child aged 0-14 in Redwood City and North Fair Oaks to enjoy the benefits of the program (along with teens and adults as well!) So tell your friends, family, kids, grandkids, great grandkids, school connections, members of your church: the Library looks forward to seeing everyone during the 2018 Summer Learning Challenge!
This year, the Library will once again play a critical role in the Redwood City School District’s Big Lift Inspiring Summers camp at Roosevelt School. Library staff will play a role in developing enrichment activities and helping kids enjoy the learning experiences. This summer’s camp will be held at Roosevelt School starting June 18, and is open to students entering first grade in the fall. Visit http://www.thebiglift.org/register/ for more information or to sign up.
Our eNews is a great way to keep up-to-date on programs, partnerships, services, and more. SIGN UP FOR LIBRARY eNEWS
- July: Fair Oaks Branch Library is Shiny and New!
- mid-June: A renovated branch, an interpretive center, Summer Learning, and more!
- June: Let the fun begin! It's summer at RCPL
- mid-May: Discover the History of our Community
- May: We won! Best Entertainment Venue for Kids!
- mid-April: What in the World is a Human Library
- April: Serving the Latino community, Climate Best Awards, and more...
- mid-March: YOU could be our next bookdrop artist!
- March: Developing a love of reading and learning
- mid-February: Happy Valentine's Day from RCPL
- February: February at your Library
- mid-January - New Year, New Programs
- January - Jump-Start Your New Year at the Library
- mid-December -Statistics Tell a Part of the Library Story, ABCMouse at home, and more
- December - Bringing the Spirit of the Holiday Season to the Redwood Shores Community
- mid-November - Branch libraries, bridging the digital divide, and more
- November - A partnership in giving, a stuffed animal sleepover and more
- mid-October - Project READ fuels the file of hope
- October - A new storytime adventure, banned books, and more
- September - School success! Back to school tools at the Library
- August - Homework help at the Library, and other August news
- July - Helping parents and students succeed - An RCPL partnership
- June - Get Set for the Summer Learning Challenge!
- May - Volunteers Make All the Difference
- April - Library Expands Community Connections With Grant-Funded Projects
- March - Library Responds to Community Input with New Service Priorities
- February - We Can Help with Those Resolutions
- January - Redwood City Now and Then Photo Project
Subscribe to eNews
- The Daily Journal: Library Program Aims to Unite, Break Barriers, July 10, 2018
- Mercury News: Library Takes a Novel Approach to Breaking Stereotypes, June 4, 2018
- Spectrum Magazine: This Year's Summer Learning Challenge is More Exciting Than Ever, June 2018
- Scot Scoop: The Human Library is Coming to Redwood City, May 29, 2018
- Spectrum Magazine: Discover the History of our Community at the Downtown Library, May 2018
- Spectrum Magazine: What in the World is a Human Library, April 2018
- Spectrum Magazine: Early Literacy Tips to Help Develop Young Readers, March 2018
- Climate Magazine: Library to offer social service ‘office hours’, March 2, 2018
- Spectrum Magazine: Fair Oaks Branch Library Expansion and Renovation, February 2018.
- Spectrum Magazine: Redwood City Library Foundation — 20 Years of Helping, January 2018
- Spectrum Magazine: New Year, New Programs at Redwood City Public Library, January 2018
- Daily Journal: Fair Oaks Branch Library a Community Gathering Place, December 27 2017
- Spectrum Magazine: Statistics Tell a Part of the Library Story, December 2017
- Daily Journal: The Shared work of Many Hands, December 11, 2017
- Spectrum Magazine: Neighborhood Branch Libraries Reflect Local Communities, November 2017
- Spectrum Magazine: Project READ Fuels the Fire of Hope at Redwood City Public Library, October 2017
- Spectrum Magazine: Friends of the Library Bookstore Supports Numerous Library Programs, September 2017
- Spectrum Magazine: Need Homework Help? Library Offers Options to Assist Students and Their Families, August 2017
- Mercury News: Redwood City Library boosts graphic novel collection, August 2, 2017
- Spectrum Magazine: RCPL Partner Spotlight: Familias Unidas, July 2017
- Spectrum Magazine: Summer Learning at the Library: Really Fun, But Also Really Important, June 2017
- Peninsula Television: Redwood City 150th Special, May 17, 2017
- Spectrum Magazine: Redwood City Public Library Volunteers Make All the Difference, May 2017
- Daily Journal: Celebrating Redwood City's 150th year: Sesquicentennial shines a light on city's history, April 15, 2017
- Spectrum Magazine: Library Expands Community Connections with Grant-Funded Projects, April 2017
- Spectrum Magazine: Library Responds to Community Input with New Service Priorities, March 2017
- Spectrum Magazine: February is National Library Lovers' Month, February 2017
- Redwood City Patch: City Council Recognizes Latest Welcoming Star Award Recipients. January 2017
- Spectrum Magazine: We Can Help with Those Resolutions!, January 2017
- San Jose Mercury News: New Library Function - Career Online High School. June 29, 2016
- Redwood City-Woodside Patch: Redwood City Library Offers Free Accredited High School Diplomas, June 17, 2016
- Spectrum Magazine: From Books to Gardening: LaBerge to Retire This Month, June 2015
- Peninsula Television: Redwood City Library - A 5-Star Library, April 2015
- Peninsula Television: Pen Voice 176 - Library Director Derek Wolfgram, April 6, 2015
- Good Morning America: Teenager's Mission to Improve Literacy in His Community, July 22, 2015