Library Board Minutes
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
REDWOOD CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY
December 14, 2004
Trustees Present: K. Douglas, B. James, Z. Sweeney, R. Madrigal, and U. Ferguson
Staff Present: Library Division Manager M. Kramer and Administrative Services L. Andrade
Other Staff Present: Community Libraries Supervisor E. Meeks
CALL TO ORDER
Trustee Douglas called the meeting to order at 7:13 pm in the Small Meeting Room of the Main Library.
There were no public comments.
On motion by Trustee James, seconded by Trustee Ferguson, the Board unanimously approved the minutes of November 2004, with a correction under "Approval of 2005 Library Closures" to read that "the Board unanimously approved the 2005 Library Closure Dates."
On motion by Trustee Sweeney, seconded by Trustee Madrigal, the Board unanimously approved the payment of warrants # 8620 to # 8673 and the payment of usual and necessary invoices through December 14th.
Director Genesy reviewed the November expenditure reports with the Board. The Library is doing well in staying under budget overall, but needs to be more careful not to consume operating supplies so quickly.
LIBRARY DIRECTOR'S MONTHLY REPORT
Director Genesy reviewed the monthly report with the Board:
- The Library has been placing an advertisement of Library programs in the Daily News as a first step in marketing the Library and as a good way to reach community members who do not already get our calendar. Trustee James agreed to lend his expertise in improving marketing of the Library.
- We will purchase eBooks and eAudioBooks, which can be downloaded to a computer, PDA, or MP3. This is a great additional service to the community for accessing information.
- Volunteer descriptions are being reviewed to identify what they can do that does not compete with union employees' job duties while helping the Library.
- The Library is trying to bump up job duties with professional librarians who work on managing projects and doing outreach and library assistants staff the public service desks.
- The Library has begun a partnership with Fox Theatre, Montalvo Performing Arts Center, and the Redwood City School District. A possible Citywide poetry month is in the planning stages.
Trustee James reported on the programming committee's work to increase programming within the Library. He noted that the Community Room is heavily used through out the year. The Board discussed holding various programs and celebratory events elsewhere within the Library such as the room next to the fireplace.
Division Manager Kramer talked about the new Kindercard campaign with the goal of giving every Redwood City kindergartener a library card. They are also working on creating a contest to get community input on creating annual logos for new Library bookmarks and/or postcards.
MAIN LIBRARY REMODEL UPDATE
Director Genesy informed the Board that remodeling work will begin in January without closing the Library. A suggestion box was placed underneath the renderings in the lobby but most of the comments have been very general and were not about the remodeling plans.
COMMUNITY LIBRARIES UPDATE
Fair Oaks has increased programming and the staff there is very energetic and love being there.
The Redwood Shores project has been over budget but has been reengineered down and general improvement district (GID) funds may or may not be used for it. Director Genesy noted that the planned café for the Redwood Shores branch library cannot be funded by the state as a for profit entity. The Library should be open for full service in July 2007, with bench marks along the way. We are currently in the schematic stage for Redwood Shores where we are waiting for a decision from the state library.
MATTERS OF BOARD INTEREST
- Library Policy Review Update: Trustee Madrigal met once with the policy review committee and they want to concentrate on three main policies right now: using cell phones, eating food, and public elevator access. He said that library policies should be reviewed, updated as needed and then put into electronic format and made available on the Library's website.
There was no discussion of upcoming events for the rest of the month.
There being no further business or announcement, the meeting was adjourned at 9:00 p.m. to January 13, 2005 at 7:00 pm in the Small Meeting Room of the Main Library.
Zachary Sweeney, Secretary