Traveling Storytime Home |
Volunteer with Traveling Storytime
Request a Volunteer |
Benefits of Reading to Preschoolers
Comments from Daycare/Preschool Providers
- "The Redwood City Development Program has benefited greatly from Traveling Storytime. Our center works hard to instill in our children a true love of reading and this program helps us to achieve that goal. Our children enjoy and look forward to these visits."
- - Nancy Chidester, Program Director
- "My daycare children look forward to each day that Sarah comes to read to them. When I tell the children, "Guess who's coming today?", they reply with excitement "Sarah!". The children love the books and the felt board stories."
- "For many years, Ms. Vidyut has made learning fun and exciting for the children of Learning Garden Montessori. She is a wonderful person, and truly cares about the children and people with whom she interacts. We are very lucky to have her."
- "My four year old son attends Jean Weingarten Peninsula School for the Deaf and once a week a volunteer from Traveling Storytime comes to read. My son never paid attention to books - he has a very short attention span - but a few weeks ago I saw him actually interested and sitting through an entire felt board story.I am really happy to see him now paying attention to stories and also building vocabulary and using his imagination. I am very appreciative."
- - Mother of a student at JWPOSD
Comments from Volunteers
- "I started reading for Traveling Storytime when I retired as a Kindergarten teacher ten years ago. I enjoy being with the children and reading to them. Traveling Storytime is a great program and seems to be very successful. The children always seem to be happy when I come and are eager to hear me read the stories."
- "I was a little hesitant when I first volunteered three years ago; Would I be good enough? Would I be able to hold their attention? Would they like having me there? After my first half hour at a preschool, I knew that my worrying was baseless. They're so attentive during the reading, and they love the finger puppet rhymes, stretches and songs. The half hour goes by so quickly - it seems we'd only just begun!"