Archived News Release from 2006
For Immediate Release
Veterans Memorial Senior Center Activities for July, 2006
Redwood City, CA - June 28 , 2006
- The Veterans Memorial Senior Center, 1455 Madison Avenue, Redwood City, is providing the following activities for the month of July, 2006. All activities are open to the public.
- Wednesday, July 5, 2006 , 10:30 a.m., Goldstar Room, Veterans Memorial Senior Center, “Active for Life” Program. Active for Life of San Mateo County is presenting a free program coordinated by the Health Education Unit of the San Mateo County Health Department. The program encourages adults age 50 and over to plan and maintain their own exercise goals and activities. The program is designed for those who are physically active 2 or less days a week and less than 120 minutes per week.Learn fun, safe, and affordable ways to be active. Phone support is offered for 6 months, and special newsletters, a pedometer, and health programs will help you reach your activity goals. Call Active for Life at 573-2003 or the Senior Center at 780-7274 for more information.
- Thursday, July 13, 1:00 p.m., Senior Affairs Commission Meeting at Casa De Redwood. The City of Redwood City Senior Affairs Commission is holding its July 13 meeting at Casa De Redwood, 1280 Veterans Boulevard. The general objectives of the Senior Affairs Commission are to encourage, foster, facilitate, establish, and maintain programs for the enhancement of all matters relating to the social, economic, and personal well being of the City’s senior population. The public is invited to attend.
- Wednesday, July 19, Homeowner’s and Renter’s Tax Assistance Program, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., (by appointment) Goldstar Room. If you are 62 or over and own a home or pay rent, you qualify for the State of California Homeowner and Renter Tax Assistance Program. Annual income must be under $40,811. This once-a-year payment to qualified individuals is based on the property taxes they paid on their homes or paid indirectly through their rent. If you are under 62 and are blind or disabled, you also qualify. For more information about the program, go to www.ftb.ca.gov (Quick Links: Homeowner and Renter Assistance and Forms 9000H/9000R). Call the Senior Services Office at the Veterans Memorial Senior Center, 780-7274, to schedule a 15-minute appointment to have the form filled out and submitted to the State.
- Thursday, July 20, Creative Aging Through Expressive Arts Conference, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Veterans Memorial Senior Center. Join us for a day full of arts in bloom: Dance, pottery, water coloring, poetry, soul collage, nature, drumming, autobiography, drama, music, and creative spirit. This program is sponsored by Center for Aging and Spirituality, Redwood City Parks Recreation and Community Services, and Senior New Ways. Cost is $30 for Seniors and $45 for Regular Admission. CEU’s (class credit) are available for $10. The cost of lunch is $10. Checks can be made payable to Sunny View Center and mailed to Center for Aging and Spirituality, 22445 Cupertino Road, Cupertino, CA 95014. For more information call the Senior Center at 780-7264.
- Saturday, July 29 and August 5, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., Goldstar Room, AARP Mature Driving Class. This is an 8-hour classroom refresher course especially designed for drivers age 50 and over. Auto insurance discounts are available in most states. Advanced registration is required by calling 780-7270. A $10 check payable to AARP is due the first day of class.
To learn more about the Veterans Memorial Senior Center, call 780-7270.
Redwood City Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department provides recreational facilities and activities for all ages and interests, and supplies building and custodial services for City buildings. Redwood City Parks also operates the Veterans Memorial Senior Center and the Fair Oaks Community Center, providing social, educational, and cultural activities, as well as information, referral, and counseling services to persons living in Redwood City and neighboring communities. Redwood City Parks is more than you think! Its website is located at www.redwoodcity.org/parks.
Visit Redwood City’s award-winning website at www.redwoodcity.org for information about the City and its services, the community, recreation programs, education, and local business. Take a look at the variety of City webcams at redwoodcity.org/webcam, and subscribe to Redwood City’s email newsletter by emailing email@example.com.
Senior Services Coordinator