Calendar · Newsletters · Events  
About the City Business Government Residents Departments Online Services
City Manager Redwood City, California
     Home » City Manager » News Releases » News Release


Our Core Purpose and Values

City Manager's Initiatives

Budget

Economic Development

News Releases

   · 2014
   · 2013
   · 2012
   · 2011
   · 2010
   · 2009
   · 2008
   · 2007
   · 2006
   · 2005
   · 2004
   · 2003
 

E-News

Awards and Recognition

Biography of City Manager Bob Bell

Contact the Staff of the City Manager’s Office


For Immediate Release

Contact:
Dan Zack
City of Redwood City
650-780-7363

Plaque to be Dedicated in Commemoration of
Former Fire Station #1, now Downtown Library

Redwood City, CA - October 8, 2012 - In commemoration of the significance of Redwood City's Fire Station #1, built in 1920, Redwood City, its Historic Resources Advisory Committee, and the Native Sons of the Golden West, Parlor #66, will be dedicating a bronze plaque on that building. The original building now houses Redwood City's Downtown Library. This special commemoration takes place:

Friday, October 12th, 3 pm
1044 Middlefield Road (in front of the Downtown Library)

The community is invited to join in this distinctive recognition of an important part of Redwood City's history.

The ceremony to unveil the bronze plaque will recognize and commemorate the historical significance of Redwood City Fire Station #1. This dedication will include comments by Redwood City Mayor Alicia Aguirre as well as a formal ceremonial observance of the occasion by the Native Sons of the Golden West, Redwood Parlor #66, an organization dedicated to preserving California's history.

The forerunner to today's 150 year-old Redwood City Fire Department began in1861 when citizens met to establish a volunteer fire company. Known as Redwood City Fire Company No. 1, it was the first non-profit organization in San Mateo County. The first firehouse was built on the corner of Marshall and Main Street in 1862. In 1869 the building was moved near the corner of Stambaugh Street and Main Street, and then Fire Station No. 1 was built on the Middlefield Road site in 1920.

It was that same year that the first paid men of the department were hired. The Fire Department left this site in 1984, moving to temporary quarters until 1987 when the newly built Station 9 opened at 755 Marshall Street. The Middlefield building was remodeled and expanded in 1989 to house the Redwood City Public Library, winner of a Library of the Year Award and a multiple National 5-Star ratings from the Library Journal.

The mission of the Native Sons of the Golden West is to help in efforts to preserve California's rich history, which certainly applies to the Redwood City Fire Department's early station at 1044 Middlefield. The community is invited to share in this commemoration and celebration of the historic value and significance of Fire Station No. 1.

Visit Redwood City's website at www.redwoodcity.org for information about the City and its services. Subscribe to Redwood City's email newsletter and other City documents by visiting www.redwoodcity.org/newsletters.

(end)



Footer Menu Bar

Logo

© Copyright 1996-2011 City of Redwood City
Please read our Terms of Service
Please email any comments or suggestions to webmaster@redwoodcity.org
Unless otherwise noted, all phone numbers are in area code 650.

City Home Site Map Search Contact Us Suggestions