Click here to subscribe to the City's calendar via RSS.
Please read our calendar listing guidelines here.
- Date: 03/07/2020 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Location: Redwood Shores Branch Library
399 Marine Parkway
Redwood City, California 94065
Human Library: a Celebration of Women's History Month
The aim of the Human Library is to foster conversations that can challenge stereotypes and prejudices. During the event, customers will have the opportunity to check out human “books” to read through one-on-one 20-minute conversations. Both reservations and walk-in signups are available.
Meet the Books
This Human Library will feature the stories of women in celebration of Women's History Month
|Homeless Advocate and Former Addict|
|Human trafficking advocate|
How to Participate
- Readers may check out up to 3 books per session
- Reserve a book online here
- Book checkouts will also be held for day-of walk-ins
Civity collaborated on the design and implementation of the library's first two Human Library trainings and events. Civity helps community leaders strategically transform their communities to understand and celebrate differences - across race, class, culture, and politics.
Human Library was developed in Copenhagen in the spring of 2000 as part of an anti-violence movement. The Human Library is now international, part of a worldwide movement for social change.
Watch our Human Library Facebook video here.
- Library eNews mid-April 2018: What in the World is a Human Library
- The Daily Journal: Library Program Aims to Unite, Break Barriers, July 10, 2018
- Mercury News: Library Takes a Novel Approach to Breaking Stereotypes, June 4, 2018
- Scot Scoop: The Human Library is Coming to Redwood City, May 29, 2018
- Civity: Seeing Beyond the Title: Supporting Civity Conversations at the Human Library, December 9, 2018
- This is Civity Podcast: This is Civity Radio: Derek Wolfgram & Jenny Barnes, The Redwood City Public Library's Human Library
Contact the program coordinator: Jenny Barnes