Redwood City ’s Historic Courthouse / Courthouse Square Project Wins American Public Works Association “Project of the Year” Award
Redwood City, CA - July 21 2008 - Redwood City’s Downtown renaissance continues to garner awards and recognition, winning the “2008 Project of the Year Award” from the American Public Works Association (APWA) - South Bay Chapter - for the Historic Courthouse and Courthouse Square project.
This award honors the City’s investments and exemplary work on these two downtown projects, which help to foster a community sense of place, to enhance community pride, and to create the City’s comfortable, inviting “outdoor living room.” Courthouse Square features a large, decoratively paved plaza at the foot of the Historic Courthouse. Flanking the central plaza space are two semi-enclosed pavilions, and a series of ornamental fountains featuring water cascading into two basins. The City restored the façade of the Historic Courthouse to bring back its Roman renaissance styling in all its original detail, in honor of the City’s history.
Together, these and other projects have helped revive the Downtown as the hub for community activities, and are making Downtown the entertainment and family activity center for Redwood City residents, and for the peninsula.
The APWA (http://southbay.apwa.net) Award recognizes these projects with a number of critical public works criteria, including:
- Use of good construction management techniques, and completion of the project on schedule;
- Safety awareness and performance;
- Community relations for the project;
- Environment protection and special considerations given to particular environmental concerns during the project;
- Unusual accomplishments under adverse conditions such as age or condition of the facility, adverse weather, soil, or other site conditions;
- Exceptional efforts to maintain quality control; construction innovations; time and/or money-saving techniques.
Visit Redwood City’s award-winning website at www.redwoodcity.org for information about the City and its services, the community, recreation programs, education, City government, and local business. Take a look at the variety of City webcams atwww.redwoodcity.org/webcam, and subscribe to Redwood City’s electronic newsletter or other City documents at www.redwoodcity.org/egov.
Community Development Services