PROJECT EXHIBIT (2/2/18)
Funding for right of way has been approved! The San Mateo County Transportation Authority (SMCTA) at its February 2018 meeting approved the programming of $20M in Measure A Highway funds. This major funding commitment, combined with $8M in pending State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) funds and $9M of City property, means that right-of-way acquisition is now fully funded; a major milestone in project development.
This bolsters the City's position in the highly competitive funding arena by providing significant local "leverage" funds to support applications for prospective future SMCTA funding calls, the potential Get Us Moving county sales tax measure, and regional, state and federal transportation funds.
The Project Approval & Environmental Document (PA & ED) phase was approved by Caltrans in December 2016. The City began the Plans, Specifications & Estimates/Right of Way (PS&E & R/W) phase in August 2017 with the hiring of AECOM. The Project Exhibit above illustrates major project design features, which are based on the Preferred Project defined in the PA&ED Phase.
Current activity includes:
- Refining the Project layout and doing field surveys and field investigations for geotechnical and environmental/hazardous materials.
- Refining design for bikeways, utilities, and structures.
- Coordinating with the Union Pacific Railroad on its facilities affected by the Project.
- Beginning a Landscape and Aesthetics Concept, which will involve City staff and ultimately the community at large.
- Soliciting a right-of-way support consultant to provide property acquisition services.
The City plans to hold a general community meeting about the project as design progresses. Please stay tuned for updates.
The current schedule (contingent on securing construction funding) is to complete this phase by June 2020 and commence construction in late 2020 or early 2021. Construction is expected to take 3 to 3-1/2 years.
Please contact Paul Krupka, the City's Project Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org or 650.504.2299 if you have any questions or comments about the project.
Click here if you would like to sign up to receive eNews updates about the 101/Woodside Interchange project.
The City of Redwood City, in cooperation with the California Department of Transportation and the San Mateo County Transportation Authority, is proposing to reconstruct the Route 101/84 (Woodside Road) interchange. The purpose of the project is to relieve existing and future traffic congestion, and to improve traffic safety and vehicular access to and from Route 101 and SR 84 (Woodside Road). The goals include improving highway operations, reducing associated congestion on Redwood City streets, removing barriers to non-motorized travel, and minimizing impacts on nearby businesses. The project proposes to modify the on- and off-ramp configuration at the interchange and adjacent local intersections to improve traffic flow, increase safety, and better accommodate pedestrian and bicycle access across Route 101.
The PA & ED phase, completed in December 2016, provided environmental clearance (CEQA and NEPA) of the preferred alternative. The PS&E & Right of Way phase of work began in earnest in August 2017. The PS&E effort will include development of bid documents for construction and coordination of utility relocations.
The City is soliciting consultant services for right of way acquisition and expects this work to begin in Spring 2018. This work will involve appraisals, acquisition, and clearance of properties necessary for project improvements and areas required for temporary easements for construction.
Finally, the City is coordinating with Caltrans on the advertisement, award and administration of construction, and necessary agreements regarding construction, operations and maintenance responsibilities.
- Conceptual Design & Environmental Approval Documents
- Conceptual Design & Environmental Approval Community Meetings
- April 28, 2016 Public Meeting presentation
- Flyers for 4-28-16 Public Meeting on the DED: English / Español
- Environmental Scoping Meeting Overview
- Scoping Meeting Presentation video (no audio)
- Alternatives video (no audio)
- Fall/Winter 2014 Fact Sheet (English and Spanish)
- Community Meeting #2 summary
- Video of July 29, 2014 presentation (no audio)
- Summer 2014 Fact Sheet English Spanish
- Community Meeting #1 summary
- March 31, 2014 presentation
- Spring 2014 Fact Sheet English Spanish
- Final Report-US 101/SR 84 Interchange Alternative Analysis Study
- Project Study Report – Route101/SR 84 Interchange (August 2000)
- Supplemental Project Study Report – Route 101/SR 84 Interchange (May 2006)
- Existing Conditions – Route 101/SR 84 Interchange PR/ED (January 2007)
- Route 101/SR 84 Interchange – PR/ED Traffic Projections Report (January 2007)
- Operational Analysis of Route 101/SR 84 Interchange Alternatives (October 2007)
Paul Krupka, P.E.