How to Find Affordable Housing
Following are links to various resources to help locate affordable housing.
- City of Redwood City Affordable Housing List This is a list of affordable housing located in the City of Redwood City. The list includes contact information for each property. Each property has different requirements for tenant eligibility including income requirements. Click here to see current income limits.
- Affordable Housing Notification List - If you would like to be notified about opportunities to apply for below market rate/affordable housing units for rent and/or for sale within one of the new developments currently under construction, please email click on Housing to send an email to provide your contact information. You will be notified when the developer begins marketing the affordable units and accepting applications. You will need to submit an application directly to the property management company of the property you are interested in as the City does not accept applications.
- SMC Housing Search - http://smchousingsearch.org/ is a free resource to help you find a home in San Mateo County that fits your needs and budget.
- County of San Mateo Department of Housing Website includes information about rental assistance programs including Section 8 vouchers and waiting lists for affordable housing. See the link below for more information:
- County of San Mateo Affordable Housing List is a county wide list of affordable housing.
- Non-Profit Housing Association (NPH) website includes additional affordable housing search tools and resources.
- List of Mobile Home Parks in San Mateo County
First Time Homebuyer Information & Workshops
- HEART and Meriwest Credit Union - First Time Homebuyer Loans
- Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco - Visit Habitat's website to read about upcoming Homebuyer Readiness Workshops provided in Redwood City and First Time Homebuyer opportunities.
- Find out more about the Habitat For Humanity Redwood City development at 612 Jefferson Avenue.
- First Home - Free Bay Area First Time Homebuyer seminars and counseling workshops.
Other Affordable Housing Resources
- HIP Housing - Homesharing Program: Visit HIP's website to view the latest list of rooms for rent and list of housing seekers. Also, click on the link below to read more about the home sharing program.
- Housing Assistance Program - Deposits, delinquent rent, other housing financial needs.
- One Degree is a useful website to search for affordable housing in the Bay Area.
Non Housing Community Resources
- Fair Oaks Community Center - The Fair Oaks Community Center is a multi-service facility offering a variety of services to the broader Redwood City community. Services are offered by a combination of City staff and representatives from public and private non-profit agencies. Services are available in Spanish and English.
- City of Redwood City Community Centers
- County of San Mateo Human Services Community Handbook
- Other Community Resources
Housing Rehabilitation Programs
- Home Improvement Loan Program - Low-Interest Loans for low-income Redwood City homeowners and multi-family property owners that rent at least 51% of their units to low-income households. Interest rates are currently 2% and terms range from 5-15 years.
- Single Family Loans
- Multi-Family Loans
- Safe at Home Minor Home Repair Program - Free home repairs for qualified low-income households.
- Housing Accessibility Modifications Program - Free housing accessibility modifications (ramps, rails, grab bars, vertical lifts and other modifications to make a home accessible) to assist people with disabilities to remain at home or move back into their home with greater independence.
Our Community: Housing and Our Future
Earlier this year, the City, in partnership with Redwood City 2020, the County’s Home For All initiative and the Library Foundation, invited the community to come together for a series of community conversations on housing. Our Community: Housing and Our Future included a series of community conversations and City Council meeting discussions. Learn more about this initiative here.