Our mission statement/Nuestra Misión: RCPL cultivates community by welcoming all people to experience the shared joys of literacy and learning. La Biblioteca Pública de Redwood City cultiva comunidad dándoles la bienvenida a todas las persona para experimentar las alegrías compartidas de la lectura y el aprendizaje.
Service Priorities 2017-18
In the second half of 2016, the Library held a series of sixteen community dialogues that included over 200 individuals representing a diverse cross-section of the people of Redwood City and North Fair Oaks. Five common themes emerged from these conversations in the form of community aspirations toward which the Library could contribute in a positive way. Our areas of focus and new service initiatives for the next two years were developed in service of these aspirations.
- Aspiration 1: Redwood City is welcoming and inclusive, celebrates the diversity of our population, and enjoys a friendly, neighborly community spirit.
- Aspiration 2: Redwood City provides opportunities for community members of all income levels.
- Aspiration 3: Residents have more awareness of existing programs and services.
- Aspiration 4: Redwood City is a safe place for children and families.
Aspiration 5: All Redwood City children have access to quality educational opportunities.
For more information on our service priorities, click here.
The Library Board consists of seven members, appointed by the City Council for terms of four years each.
Lisa Hicks- Dumanske
Your Redwood City libraries by the numbers (2017-18 fiscal year)
- Over 1 million items borrowed, including over 520,000 children's items
- Over 754,000 annual visits
- Over 215, 000 people attended over 7,300 library programs, including attendance of 199,790 children and family members at over 5,600 children's programs
- Over 15,175 children and families participated in the Library's Summer Reading Program
- Over 77,200 volunteer hours worked by community members of all ages
- Over 67,700 active library card holders
- Over 68,500 uses of public computers
- Over 827,400 logins to our wireless network
- Over 112,700 website visits
- Over 104,700 eBooks checked out
- Over 19,000 books added to the collection
- Over 1,100 community meetings held in Library meeting rooms
- Over 986 adult learners received instruction from Project READ tutors and met at least one of their individual learning goals.
- Over 520 individual teens visited the Teen Center with a total annual attendance of 6,241 visits