Our mission statement/Nuestra Misión: RCPL cultivates community by welcoming all people to experience the shared joys of literacy and learning. La Biblioteca Pública de Redwood City cultiva comunidad dándoles la bienvenida a todas las persona para experimentar las alegrías compartidas de la lectura y el aprendizaje.
Service Priorities 2019-2021
In the second half of 2016, the Library held a series of sixteen community dialogues that included over 200 individuals representing a diverse cross-section of the people of Redwood City and North Fair Oaks. Five common themes emerged from these conversations in the form of community aspirations toward which the Library could contribute in a positive way. Our areas of focus and new service initiatives were developed in service of these aspirations.
- Aspiration 1, Inclusion: Our community is welcoming and inclusive, celebrates the diversity of our population, and enjoys a friendly, neighborly community spirit.
- Aspiration 2, Equity: Redwood City and North Fair Oaks provide opportunities for community members of all income levels.
- Aspiration 3, Awareness: Residents have more awareness of existing programs and services.
- Aspiration 4, Safety: Redwood City and North Fair Oaks are safe places for children and families.
Aspiration 5, Education: All Redwood City and North Fair Oaks children have access to quality educational opportunities.
For more information on our service priorities, click here.
The Library Board consists of seven members, appointed by the City Council for terms of four years each.
Lisa Hicks- Dumanske
Your Redwood City libraries by the numbers (2018-2019 fiscal year)
- Over 1.1 million items borrowed, including over 587,000 children's items
- Over 754,000 annual visits
- Over 188,000 people attended over 7,600 library programs, including attendance of 160,000 children and family members at over 4030 children's programs
- Over 61,500 volunteer hours worked by community members of all ages
- Over 65,000 active library card holders
- Over 70,000 uses of public computers
- Over 991,000 logins to our wireless network
- Over 92,000 website visits
- Over 181,900 eBooks checked out
- Over 19,000 books added to the collection
- Over 1,100 community meetings held in Library meeting rooms
- 938 adult learners received instruction from Project READ tutors and met at least one of their individual learning goals.
- 747 individual teens visited the Teen Center with a total annual attendance of 6,366 visits