Keep track of the bees with our livestream of the hives above and here. (Currently available from 8am-7pm.)
About the Library honey bees
Redwood City Public Library’s honey bees live on the roof of the Downtown Library. We have experienced some ups and downs but currently are 110,000 bees strong!
You might think, what do they eat up there? Don't worry, they can fly up to 5 miles from their hive to collect food, but there are plenty of trees and other plants blooming throughout the city. Each beehive could have up to 60 thousand bees, and while many are out foraging for food, about 2/3 of the colony stays home to clean, care for the young, make honey, guard the hive, and take care of the queen bee. Connect with us on our RCPL Bee Facebook page to hear updates about the bees.
The Library bees are cared for by beekeeper, Kendal Sager. Kendal has been a beekeeper since 2011 and is a UC Davis Master Beekeeper. She keeps a small number of beehives throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Kendal has a passion for teaching and she loves sharing through educational talks and events. Learn more about Kendal here
Visit our Bee Wall Interpretive Center
Want to learn more? Visit the Bee Wall Interpretive Center located in the Downtown Library’s Family Place.
You can see pieces of a real beehive, beekeeping tools, and the inner workings of the beehive. Did you know bees see different wavelengths of light than us? And a bee's life cycle is very similar to a butterfly, where the new adults emerge from cocoons?
- The life cycle of a bee
- How bees collect pollen
- How bees see flowers
- The 3 castes of bee
- How honey is made
- American Libraries: File under Bee, Libraries open up to beekeeping, September 3, 2019
- Redwood City-Woodside Patch: Redwood City Library Bees Create Buzz on Facebook, Nest Feed, August 21, 2019
- Patch: Honeybees Creating Buzz at Peninsula Library, Beyond, March 19, 2019
- Mercury News: What's the Buzz on the Bees Atop the Redwood City Public Library, March 2, 2019
- KCBS Radio: The Buzz About the Redwood City Downtown Library, February 7, 2019
- The Daily Journal: Bees Abuzzing: Redwood City Library home to two hives, February 5, 2019