This permit shall be used when a request is made for any filming/videotaping involving the use of City owned property or City-controlled right-of-way, or encroachment of any kind on any City street or sidewalk. Permit must be approved by the Chief of Police or designee.
Any filming/videotaping involving the temporary closure of a portion of any commercially zoned street or more than one block of a residential street requires additional permitting from the Redwood City Police Department.
The Permittee shall be granted a Filming Production Permit subject to the following. The Permittee will be notified if additional items are necessary.
- Letter of Intent: A letter of intent shall be prepared by the permit applicant and attached to this Permit Agreement and shall contain the following:
- Name of the event.
- The name, address, and telephone number of the Permittee and an alternative contact person.
- If the event proposed is to be sponsored by an organization, the name, address, and telephone number of the organization, and the authorized head of the organization.
- The name, address, and telephone number of the person who will be present and in charge of the event.
- The nature, description, and purpose of the event. Include information regarding what activities will be included, and the time frame of different activities.
- The date and estimated starting and ending time of the event.
- Location or route. Please attach a diagram of the area involved and any streets that will be closed or on street parking spaces to be posted “No Parking.” Please indicate the placement of barricades, cones, stages, booths, portable toilets, entertainment, water, and first aid stations (if applicable), etc.
- Estimated number of participants in the event.
- The type and estimated number of vehicles, animals, and structures.
- If any state routes are to be utilized, an encroachment permit must be obtained from the California Department of Transportation.
- Notification of intent to use simulated firearms in the filming
- Course Control: Those portions of the event taking place in the public right-of-way shall occur in a manner and shall be limited to that area designated by the Chief of Police. Should the Chief of Police determine that the provision of police officers is required for the control of traffic in connection with said event, the Permittee agrees to reimburse the city for costs associated with the event. Additionally, the Permittee is required to provide security at the event meeting with the approval of the Chief of Police.
- Insurance: The Permittee shall provide to the City of Redwood City commercial general liability insurance coverage for any and all activities permitted hereunder in the amount of $1,000,000 per occurrence and $2,000,000 aggregate, naming the City of Redwood City, its City Council, commissions, committees, boards, officers, employees, and agents (collectively, the “City-insureds”) as insureds or additional insureds. If the City-insureds are covered as additional insureds, the Permittee shall provide endorsements to the policy which shall provide that: (i) said insurance shall be primary insurance with respect to the City-insureds, (ii) apply separately to each insured against whom claim is made or suit is brought, except with respect to the limits of the insured’s liability (cross liability endorsement), and (iii) name the City-insureds as additional insureds. The Permittee shall furnish evidence of such insurance coverage in a form satisfactory to the city at least ten (10) days prior to commencement of the event. The Risk Manager, in his/her sole discretion, has the authority to waive or supplement the above insurance requirements.
- Compliance With Laws: The Permittee shall comply with all appropriate and applicable rules, regulations, and laws in connection with the conducting of said event, or any activities associated therewith. This permit shall be in addition to all other permits that are or may be required for conducting the event or any associated activity.
- Hold Harmless: The Permittee shall assume the defense of and indemnify and save harmless the City of Redwood City, its City Council, officers, boards, commissions, employees, and agents from all suits, actions, damages, or claims to which the city may be subjected of any kind or nature whatsoever, resulting from, caused by, or arising out of the performance or failure to perform of Permittee hereunder, or otherwise arising from or arising out of said event or any activities herein permitted.
- Reimbursement of City’s Costs: Permittee agrees to pay the hourly cost recovery rate of all City personnel who are required by the City to work overtime hours or other than regular shifts, or perform duties during or as a result of such event or encroachment. This includes, but is not limited to, the cost of a designated City staff person to be present onsite during the duration of the event or encroachment.
- Damage to Public Property: The Permittee shall reimburse the city for the costs for any damages to city owned property in the vicinity of the designated site and route, caused by or arising out of the conducting of the event permitted hereunder, or the acts, or omissions to act, of persons participating in said event. All signs or other markings placed in or upon public property, including the public right-of-way in connection with said event, shall be removed immediately following said event.
- Notification: At the direction of the City, the Permittee shall contact all owners, residents, and tenants of all properties affected by the proposed closure or use of property regarding the proposed event. Notification shall occur no later than two weeks prior to the event.
- Restroom Facilities: The Permittee shall provide or arrange for adequate temporary restroom facilities at no expense to the City.
- Miscellaneous and Additional Matters: This permit does not apply to private party property. Any use of private party property must be approved by the party responsible for said private property. Additional or further matters not herein described or contemplated in connection with the event permitted hereunder, shall not be effectuated without the prior written consent of the City Manager or designee.