The Redwood City Police Department strives to be a model law enforcement agency for others to emulate. We seek to develop and utilize the members of our organization to their fullest potential and encourage their professional growth. If you are looking for a career where service, integrity, and respect are core beliefs, come join us and stand out.
Join the Redwood City Police Department team for a career that offers excitement, rapid growth opportunities, work-life balance, and the chance to make a positive impact in your community.
South Bay Regional Public Safety Training Consortium (The Academy) offers entrance assessment and pre-employment testing for Law Enforcement, Fire Services, Dispatch Communications and Corrections candidates. The Academy leads the way in providing high quality, cost-effective public safety training to students and professions from over 70 city and county agencies. For more information about the Assessment Testing, go here.
Out of state laterals are not considered a lateral applicant unless the California POST waiver is complete. Obtain a California POST certificate to be eligible to apply as a lateral police officer. For more information, go here.
- Field Training Officer
- Motor Officer
- Community Policing
- Marine Unit
- Street Crimes Suppression Team
- School Resource Officer
- Field Evidence Technician
- Terrorism Liaison Officer
For current career opportunities, go here.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit an application online at www.calopps.org, and include the supplemental questionnaire, resume, and P.O.S.T. certificate or verification of Police Academy attendance.
Completion of 30-semester units from an accredited college or university. Valid California Drivers License. Physically capable of passing the California P.O.S.T. medical examination. Meet all the regulatory requirements for becoming a Peace Officer with a California P.O.S.T. agency.
Entry Level Police Officer
Currently enrolled in a California P.O.S.T. approved basic academy (or California P.O.S.T. approved equivalent) or possess an active/valid California P.O.S.T. Basic Academy Certification.
Lateral Police Officer
Candidates must have a minimum of 12 months continuous field patrol experience as a sworn California law enforcement officer including successful completion of the employing agency probationary period.
Applications will be reviewed and applicants who best meet the stated qualifications and requirements for the
position will be invited to participate in:
- Interview before a panel of Department members
- Completion of written exercise
- Candidate’s successful in the oral board interview and written exercise will be placed on the eligibility list.
- Salary $9,159.00 - $10,095.00 monthly
- Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS)
- Opportunity to select from a variety of health plans administered by CalPERS, including health insurance, health care, and dependent care reimbursement
- Weekly work schedule of 4/10-hour days or 3/12.5-hour days
- Differential pay for swing and night shift
- Differential pay for specialty positions
- Differential pay for bilingual skills (Spanish)
- Fourteen paid holidays per year
- Two to five weeks vacation depending on the years of service
- Additional benefits for Lateral Police Officers include shortened FTO program based on performance, vacation accrual based on years of full-time sworn law enforcement experience, up to 200 hours of transferable earned sick leave balance.
If you would like more information, please contact the RCPD recruiting team:
Phone: 650 780-7100 Ext. 1002