Before - 3
After - 3

Sidewalk Repair Program

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Why Should I Participate?

By the City’s Municipal Code, property owners are responsible for maintaining the sidewalk bordering their property. Property owners have two options for sidewalk repair:

  1. Participate in the City’s 50/50 Cost Shared Sidewalk Repair Program or
  2. Make the repair independently by hiring a licensed contractor and submitting a sidewalk repair permit.

Participating in the City’s program is efficient and cost-effective because no permits are needed and property owners can take advantage of the City’s contract pricing.

Program Eligibility

  • Residential or non-profit property owners in Redwood City may participate.
  • Non-profit properties include schools, churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, hospitals, government buildings, etc.
  • Commercial or rental properties are NOT eligible to participate.
  • Driveways are NOT eligible, since they are private property.

How Do I Know If My Sidewalk Needs Repair?

cracked-sidewalkLook for uplifted, cracked or deteriorated sidewalk. A basic guideline is that breaks bigger than three quarters (3/4) of an inch should be reported.

Cracks may indicate root growth. This means sidewalks that look like the picture on the right should be reported. Reporting early on allows for repair teams to redirect tree roots before irreparable damage is done to the tree and/or sidewalk.

How To Participate

  1. Contact Public Works Services by calling (650) 780-7464.
  2. City staff will inspect the sidewalk to determine if it meets the City's permanent repair criteria. 
  3. Then, they will perform a one-time temporary repair to make the sidewalk safe.
  4. If repair criteria is met, City staff will provide a cost estimate for permanent repair.
  5. The City's contractor will perform the permanent repair at a later date.

Program Cost

  • Costs will vary depending on the condition of the sidewalk.
  • Costs are split evenly (50/50) between the property owner and the city.
  • By splitting the cost, the City is able to relieve citizens of some of the burden, and is able to repair many sidewalks.

Can I Do Repairs Myself?

  • Yes. However, if you wish to do so, the full cost must be paid for by the property owner.
  • Please visit the Permit Counter at City Hall to submit a sidewalk permit.The Permit Counter is located on the first floor of City Hall, 1017 Middlefield Road.
  • To find a qualified contractor please refer to the California Contractors State License Board.