How to Find Affordable Housing
There are many free resources available to the community to provide assistance locating affordable housing; below, find resources from the City, County and other organizations.
City of Redwood City Resources
- Affordable Housing List - This a list of affordable housing located within the City includes contact information for each property. Each property has different requirements for tenant eligibility including income requirements. Go here to see current income limits. To view the list, go here.
- Affordable Housing Notification List - If you would like to be notified about opportunities to apply for below market rate/affordable housing units for rent and/or for sale within a new development under construction, please email the Housing division to provide your contact information. You will be notified when the developer begins marketing the affordable units and accepting applications. Applications must be submitted to the property management company of the property you are interested.
County of San Mateo Resources
- Find a home in San Mateo County that fits your needs and budget by going to the SMC Housing Search webpage, here.
- The Department of Housing is a catalyst for increasing access to affordable housing, increasing the supply of workforce housing, and supporting related community development, so that housing permanently exists for people of all income levels and generations in San Mateo County. For more information about the San Mateo County Department of Housing, go here.
- Apply to be put on a wait list for an affordable housing site in San Mateo County by going here.
- Countywide Affordable Housing List - This is a list of affordable housing located within the County including contact information for each property. Go to the Countywide list here.
- Mobilehome Parks
First Time Homebuyer Information & Workshops
- HEART and Meriwest Credit Union - First Time Homebuyer Loans
- Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco - Visit Habitat's website to read about upcoming Homebuyer Readiness Workshops provided in Redwood City and First Time Homebuyer opportunities.
- First Home - Free Bay Area First Time Homebuyer seminars and counseling workshops
Other Affordable Housing Resources
- HIP Housing - Homesharing Program: Visit HIP's website to view the latest list of rooms for rent and list of housing seekers. Also, click on the link below to read more about the home sharing program.
- Non-Profit Housing Association (NPH) website includes additional affordable housing search tools and resources.
- Housing Assistance Program - Deposits, delinquent rent, other housing financial needs.
- One Degree is a useful website to search for affordable housing in the Bay Area.
Non Housing Community Resources
- Fair Oaks Community Center - The Fair Oaks Community Center is a multi-service facility offering a variety of services to the broader Redwood City community. Services are offered by a combination of City staff and representatives from public and private non-profit agencies. Services are available in Spanish and English.
- City of Redwood City Community Centers
- County of San Mateo Human Services Community Handbook
- Other Community Resources
Housing Rehabilitation Programs
- Safe at Home Minor Home Repair Program - Free home repairs for qualified low-income households.
- Housing Accessibility Modifications Program - Free housing accessibility modifications (ramps, rails, grab bars, vertical lifts and other modifications to make a home accessible) to assist people with disabilities to remain at home or move back into their home with greater independence.